Leadership Contra Costa
What is Leadership Contra Costa℠?
Leadership Contra Costa℠ is a nine-month program that brings together community members asking them to step out of their everyday lives, participate in monthly topics in a wide-range of subjects, and imagine a better Contra Costa region – and their role in creating it. The monthly day-long sessions include in-depth looks at arts and education, business and economic development, sustainability, health and human services, and government and political processes. Each day of this program gives participants the opportunity to learn what makes a truly vibrant civic life.
Leadership Contra Costa℠ was created to identify and promote the skills as a current or future leader, enhance the participant’s knowledge of the Contra Costa region, expand involvement in community affairs and increase communication among the most active and involved members of this community.
Who should participate?
• Any community members living or working in the Contra Costa region who has a stake in the region’s future and plans to continue their involvement within the Contra Costa community.
• Anyone with an interest in government, advocacy, non-profit work, or who wishes to contribute to the betterment of our community.
• Anyone interested in civic and professional development as well as developing their leadership skills.
• Participants come from a wide array of backgrounds from both the public and private sectors.
What is the curriculum?
Monthly day-long sessions devoted to an in-depth exploration of topics relevant to the Contra Costa population. Throughout the program’s duration participants are introduced to a variety of speakers and leaders from the community.
Session topics include:
- Leadership skills and professional development
- Business and economic development
- Government, politics, and elections
- Health and aging
- Sustainability and the environment
- Social justice
- Arts and education
- Housing and transportation
The program also includes unique site visits as well as attendance at the State of the Chamber event in April. Sessions are held at various locations throughout the region that correspond with the curriculum for the day. Each participant is responsible for their own transportation to and from the sessions as well as all parking involved. Participants are encouraged to carpool. The Walnut Creek Chamber of Commerce staff will provide a list of program participants to help facilitate carpool coordination.
What are the commitments and requirements?
One full day (8:00am-4:30pm) per month from September to May, usually the first Thursday of each month, followed by a cohort happy hour. Additional time each month outside of this meeting time, approximately 2-3 hours, is to be expected to conduct interviews, research, group meetings, etc.
Leadership Contra Costa requires a strong commitment from its participants. Each participant is required to have the support of their current employer.
The following will result in termination from the program with no tuition refund:
- More than two absences during the program.
- Partial attendance at any session on more than two occasions.
What is the investment?
Program tuition of $1,250, covers the program costs including:
- Program materials
- Leadership training sessions
- Meeting day breakfast and lunch
- Admission to Chamber mixers and the State of the Chamber event
What are the selection criteria?
Selection will be based upon the information provided in your application and personal interview (scheduled following your application submission.) Leadership Contra Costa seeks representation from a cross section of the community, including representation from business, government, and non-profit organizations.
Selection criteria includes:
- A sincere commitment, motivation, and interest in serving the community.
- Demonstrated commitment through past or present community involvement.
• Individuals with an awareness and understanding of community and business issues that demonstrate a commitment to the Contra Costa region and its future.
- Commitment to pay the tuition of $1,250.
- Partial scholarships are available and interested applicants can request a scholarship as part of the application process